Re: !!!>>USB problem on FC1 (Digital camera causes kernel panic / lockup)

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:08:28 -0500
JacquesDeepSPIN@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Jacques DeepSPiN) wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm having some serious issues with USB on my FC1. Whenever I connect a
> USB device to my PC the machine hangs. I'm not sure at all what to do
> next?

This may be related to a problem I've been experiencing with FC1 on my
Thinkpad 570E and my HP Photosmart 315 digital camera.

Plug in the camera - hotplug detects it, makes a mount point
(/mnt/camera), and loads usb-storage.  This seems to be the correct
behavior.

Try to mount the camera - mount hangs for about 30 seconds, then I get a
kernel panic and a hard lockup (requires powering off the machine).

Other USB devices I've tried (USB CDRW drive, USB mouse, USB Zip drive)
work fine - but this camera kills FC1 every time.

I just installed the latest kernel update - haven't had a chance to see if
that helps.

Anyone else had trouble with digital cameras causing kernel panics in FC1?

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/