Re: inconsistencies in repositories

Paolo Nesti Poggi  said:
> Hi,
>
> after reading documentation on fedora.redhat.org, yum and apt sites I
> can't
> see any other way out than asking you for help.
>
> the problem:
> I got installed a server with fedora, I have ssh root access to it. The
> installation was done without mysql and without php-mysql.
>
> I'm trying to install it now from command line.
>
> I understand that the right tool for it is yum and not up2date.

up2date would do just as good in this situation.  Maybe even better, if
your config file for yum is the problem.  Probably the same if third party
packages are the issue.

> However when I try to install i get:
> # yum install php-mysql
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> Server: Fedora Project testing RPMS for RHL 9
> Server: Fedora Project update RPMS for RHL 9
> Server: Fedora Linux (stable) for Fedora Core 1 -- Fedora US mirror
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> ..package MySQL-devel needs MySQL-client (not provided)
> package MySQL-bench needs MySQL-client (not provided)

As someone else pointed out, Fedora doesn't ship MySQL, they ship mysql.

> in my yum.conf I have:
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever
>
> [updates-released]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-$releasever
>
> #[updates-testing]
> #name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
> #baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-$releasever

Fedora.us packages for RHL 9?

> [fedora-updates-9]
> name=Fedora Project update RPMS for RHL 9
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/9/i386/yum/updates/
>
> [fedora-stable-9]
> name=Fedora Project Stable RPMS for RHL 9
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/9/i386/yum/stable/

Testing packages (labeled as Stable)?

> [fedora-stable-9]
> name=Fedora Project testing RPMS for RHL 9
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/9/i386/yum/testing/
>
> [fedora-us-1-stable]
> name=Fedora Linux (stable) for Fedora Core 1 -- Fedora US mirror
> baseurl=http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/1/i386/yum/sta
> ble/
>

> Now, I can't believe that php-mysql-client is not available in the
> official
> repositories fedora.redhat.org etc.

php-mysql-client?

> Besides, I read on this list and, if I recall, on tht fedora site, that
> the
> current version for php on fedora is 4.3.4, what I see is only 4.3.3 and
> no
> update is offered. I also have installed Fedora on a machine at home some
> time ago and it also has php 4.3.3 and doesn't get updated (it has
> php-mysql
> though).

php 4.3.3 ships with Fedora Core 1.  php 4.3.4 is available in the testing
updates.

I personally would suggest:

Comment out anything that isn't "fedora.redhat.com" in your yum.conf until
you figure out what is causing the issue.

Figure out what you have installed now for mysql:

rpm -qa | grep -i mysql
rpm -qi <mysql_package_name>

--
William Hooper