Re: less and LESSCHARSET=latin1 and scandinavian chars are &

Jani Ollikainen wrote:
On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 05:54:18PM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:

Your LANG should probably be set to fi_FI.UTF-8. Once you fix it, you'll have to log out and probably restart gdm to get your X session in a UTF-8 locale.

Why would I want to use my machine in finnish language?

My fault. I assumed that's what you wanted based on your LC_CTYPE, etc. If you want english, then it should be set to en_US.UTF-8, as in the default.

Hate those translations, and i don't think that utf-8 is here atm.

And why do you think that? Based on your own experience, I'd say that locale-specific encodings are "here" atm. UTF-8 is the one true path.

But this conversation is getting so much of topic

I think it's very much on topic. If there is any reason why UTF-8 should not be used, then it should be fixed. UTF-8 is the default, and will be the default character encoding for all future releases of the distribution. Right?

, i got it working
but i don't understand the logic why it works w/o lesscharset env,

Less was probably converting the characters to something it thought would display, and your terminal was interpreting them as an unknown encoding. This is exactly why UTF-8 is the default. It's the only viable way to reliably encode character data and have it display right under any locale (as long as it's a UTF-8 locale).