Re: An official trademark policy for CheapBytes-type RHL CDs?

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, James J. Ramsey wrote:
>

> >IMHO, what is needed is some trademark policy that
> >specifically allows CheapBytes, etc. to name future
> >RHL CDs in a non-obfuscatory fashion, so that
> >potential RHL users can actually *find* the CDs. Maybe
> >a trademark specifically for CheapBytes and similar
> >resellers, i.e. "Downloaded Red Hat Linux"?
> >

> I think someone said very early on that this was being worked on but it
> would take a while to make sure it was a 'valid' policy in the eyes of
> US and International Trademark law. I wish whoever is doing this luck..
> I got a migraine on trying to read a 'simple' last will and testament
> with all the parties, side restrictions, etc etc.

I am sure that all the CD vendors would gladly make a payment to the rhl
project for the use of such trademark.

We (cheeplinux.com) tried to license the trademark from redhat, but the
terms were so onerous that it was not practical. Primarily we were only
allowed to sell single copies to individuals, whereas a lot of our
business is to trade customers.

I suspect that the other vendors have found likewise as each adopted their
own name for the set of isos.

We have always felt that cheap cds are a good way to introduce new
users to different distributions, and some will then go on to purchase
boxed products or support contracts, or recommend that their companies
roll out a particular distro and it really hasnt done redhat any favours
having their brand diluted, or sold as 'pink tie' etc , possibly because
of their lawyers misunderstanding of the way that gpl software is distributed.

Lance
--
uklinux.net - The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.