Re: fmf-frequently missed features and some general thoughts...

Tim Kossack wrote:
[John Beimler wrote:]
Red Hat has decided that the consumer biz is not for them. You obviously think there's plenty of money there, so go for it. Thats where Mandrake got their start, I'm sure Red Hat won't mind.

if they would give me some $$ as well as the right to use their technology (installer etc.) to open up a subsidary focused on consumer desktop, i'm definitly in:-)!

Here's the installer: http://rhlinux.redhat.com/anaconda/ . All of RHL is GPL'ed you don't need Red Hat to give you the right to use it, the GPL does that for you.

The only thing you need to be careful about is not using Red Hat's trademarks. Information here: https://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/guidelines/index.html

I don't understand. Red Hat gives you an entire tested Operating System, and you make further demands. You are given the opportunity to fork that, and do exactly what you want to do and you want them to *pay* *you* to do it? Even when it is obvious that Red Hat had decided that is not what they want to do.

To repeat myself, if you think there is money in it, get some investors and hop to it. Otherwise, let Red Hat do what they think they need to create revenue and support free software. The GPL gives you the right to take it all and go your own way, feel free to do so.

Peace.

john