Re: [rfc][patch] mm: madvise(WILLNEED) for anonymous memory

On Thu, 20.12.07 14:09, Hugh Dickins ([email protected]) wrote:

> > Lennart asked for madvise(WILLNEED) to work on anonymous pages, he plans
> > to use this to pre-fault pages. He currently uses: mlock/munlock for
> > this purpose.
>
> I certainly agree with this in principle: it just seems an unnecessary
> and surprising restriction to refuse on anonymous vmas; I guess the only
> reason for not adding this was not having anyone asking for it until now.
> Though, does Lennart realize he could use MAP_POPULATE in the mmap?

Not really. First, if the mmap() is hidden somewhere in glibc (i.e. as
part of malloc() or whatever) it's not really possible to do
MAP_POPULATE. Also, I need this for some memory that is allocated
during the whole runtime but only seldomly used. Thus I am happy if it
is swapped out, but everytime I want to use it I want to make sure it
is paged in before I pass it on to the RT thread. So, there's a
mmap() during startup only, and then, during the whole runtime of my
program I want to page in the memory again and again, with long
intervals in between, but with no call to mmap()/munmap().

Lennart