Re: INITIO scsi driver fails to work properly

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 01:32:02AM -0800, Natalie Protasevich wrote:
> > The problem is that it appears to the casual observer as if they can
> > then add information to the bug through the web interface.  But that
> > information will never be forwarded to the mailing list.  Unless there's
> > a way of marking bugs as 'unchangable through the web interface' or 'all
> > messages appended to this bug need to be forwarded', Bugzilla just
> > doesn't fit our needs.
> >
> > The Debian BTS fits our way of working much better.  Perhaps somebody
> > should investigate a migration.
>
> This is excellent observation by Matthew and James. There is no magic
> in bugzilla not being loved, it is just "not the right set of features
> for effective work on a problem". It doesn't support multiple
> developer' collaboration well.

Actually, Bugzilla *could* be configured so that, say, linux-scsi was
copied for all SCSI bugs (linux-scsi could just be added to the cc
list).  The problem though is that Bugzilla will then proceed to cc
linux-scsi for all the Bugzilla state change details which might annoy
the denizens of the linux-scsi list.

But if new entries on the Bugzilla entry could be set to forward to
the appropriate mailing list with the messaging *looking* a lot more
like a mail message, I suspect it could be acceptable.  One of the
advantages of the Debian BTS is that it's much more integrated into
the e-mail workflow.  (Although it lacks the roll up and reporting
capabilities that are beloved by managers...)

But hey, it could be worse.  We could have chosen the Sourceforge bug
tracker.  :-)

						- Ted