Re: Bug: get EXT3-fs error Allocating block in system zone

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

> http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=135761&action=view
>
> It disables PCI BARs during sizing.  ISTR Linus opining that this was the
> wrong thing to do?

It looks ok now that it doesn't do it for host controllers. I guess we
could just apply it.

> ISTR him having opinions on mmconfig too ;)

That piece of unbelievable crap? Have I ever said anything negative about
something that shitty? I can't imagine having ever badmouthed such a
mindless and totally broken piece of sh*t hardware/firmware interface.

> We should not require people to use obscure boot options to get their
> machines working.

Arjan swears he'll have a patch for me to only use mmconfig when actually
appropriate by 2.6.25. In the meantime, the BAR disable is probably worth
trying.

But the disk errors are something else, doesn't ring a bell. Sounds like
IO corruption on the group descriptor block or something like that. Might
be worth testing to see if the problem goes away with less than 4GB of
RAM..

		Linus