Re: [patch] ext2: xip check fix

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 09:43:27AM +0100, Carsten Otte wrote:
> Nick Piggin wrote:
> >>Xip does only work, if both do match PAGE_SIZE because it
> >>does'nt support multiple calls to direct_access in the get_xip_page
> >>address space operation. Thus we check both here, actually this was
> >>changed from how it looks after your patch as a bugfix where our
> >>tester tried a 4k filesystem on a 2k blockdev.
> >>Did I miss something?
> >
> >However, the bdev block size may be changed with sb_set_blocksize. It
> >doesn't actually have to match the hardware sector size -- if this
> >does matter for XIP, then I think you need some other check here.
> Hmmmmhh. For a bdev with PAGE_SIZE hardsect size, there is no other
> valid value then PAGE_SIZE that one could set it to. Or can it indeed
> be changed to a value greater then PAGE_SIZE or smaller then hardsect
> size?

It can't be made smaller (or larger, in current kernels). But you
already get all that checking done for you -- both by checking that
the filesystem blocksize == PAGE_SIZE, and by the error checking in
sb_set_blocksize.

After my patch, we can do XIP in a hardsect size < PAGE_SIZE block
device -- this seems to be a fine thing to do at least for the
ramdisk code. Would this situation be problematic for existing drivers,
and if so, in what way?

Thanks,
Nick