Re: Is the PCI clock within the spec?

Dick Johnson wrote:

You can't just touch a scope-probe to the PCI
clock pin and clip the scope-probe grounding
lead to a convenient "ground" to make these
measurements! You need a special fixture that
will make a low-inductance connection to the
PCI bus in the same manner as the interface chip.

(This is waaay over my head.)

Why do you think the two plots (at least the second one)
were not obtained as you describe?

Why would the system manufacturer botch the measurements
when I asked them to show me evidence that their system
was compliant?

A scope probe will allow you to see if there is
a clock signal. That's all. You can't determine
its quality. A 4-inch ground lead on the scope
probe will result in 10-20% overshoot and undershoot
being observed.

I don't understand this 10-20% figure.
(0V + 10-20% is still 0V.)

AFAIU, the nominal peak-to-peak voltage is 3.3V. The observed
peak-to-peak voltage is 6.08V (3.3V + 84%).

Regards.