Re: namespace support requires network modules to say "GPL"

Stephen Hemminger wrote:

Naw, enterprise (or any other) distro vendors shouldn't have any issues here,
since they can just patch their kernels around any issues.

But it looks like Eric has this one thought out well enough.

So you are saying all this is not a problem, fine.
Any affected parties can certainly lobby for themselves. But I suspect
they all think the kernel community is a bunch of ... and will just ignore
the problem.
I have a binary module that uses dev_get_by_name...it's sort of a bridge-like thing and
needs user-space to tell it which device to listen for packets on...

This code doesn't need or care about name-spaces, so I don't see how it could really be infringing on the author's code (any worse than loading a binary driver into the kernel
ever does).

I would certainly prefer to not have to patch around any problems with calling dev_get_by_name from a non-gpl module, but if required, I can probably figure something out...

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]> Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com