Re: namespace support requires network modules to say "GPL"

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 22:34:09 -0500
Mark Lord <[email protected]> wrote:

> Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:17:36 -0800
> > Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Then init_net needs to be not GPL limited. Sorry, we need to allow
> >> non GPL network drivers.  There is a fine line between keeping the
> >> binary seething masses from accessing random kernel functions, and allowing
> >> reasonable (but still non GPL) things like ndiswrapper to use network
> >> device interface.
> >>
> > I spoke too soon earlier, ndiswrapper builds and loads against current
> > 2.6.24-rc3. Vmware and proprietary VPN software probably do not. Once again I don't
> > give a damn, but the enterprise distro vendors certainly care.
>
> Naw, enterprise (or any other) distro vendors shouldn't have any issues here,
> since they can just patch their kernels around any issues.
>
> But it looks like Eric has this one thought out well enough.

So you are saying all this is not a problem, fine.
Any affected parties can certainly lobby for themselves. But I suspect
they all think the kernel community is a bunch of ... and will just ignore
the problem.

--
Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]>