Re: Linux 2.6 kernel module compilation without using KBUILD

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, murtuja bharmal wrote:

> Hello Sam,
>
> My intention is to just understand whole process of making kernel
> module. Actually I am working on one project in which I have to port
> lots of 2.4 kernel module in 2.6 kernel. So I thought lets first try
> to understand, what is going behind KBUILD. I also gone through
> linux/Documentation/kbuild/ but didn't get very much information.
> Even after running it on Verbose Mode, I am not very much clear.
>
> Thanks
> Murtuja Bharmal

you'd probably be better off asking this on the kernel newbies list
rather than the main kernel list.  and, as an intro to porting 2.4 to
2.6 modules, you might want to start here:

http://lwn.net/Articles/driver-porting/

and, as others have suggested, you're probably better off just
figuring out the 2.6 kbuild structure.  trying to do this manually
without kbuild is just making this way more difficult than it has to
be.

rday