Re: Linux 2.6 kernel module compilation without using KBUILD

--- Sam Ravnborg <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 12:09:51AM -0800, murtuja
> bharmal wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I want to compile external linux kernel module
> without
> > using KBUILD.
> > Do we have any document which describe how to make
> > kernel module without using KBUILD.
>
> No.
> Becasue building kernel modules without using kbuild
> is highly
> discouraged and vulnerable for all sort of config
> related issues.
> As a simple example the module may become unuseable
> if just one
> change is made to the configuration because this
> changes
> the parameters passed to gcc which again affects the
> code
> being built.
>
> Can you try to enlighting why you want to avoid
> kbuild.
> If you have a specific problem then maybe kbuild
> already can
> do what you need.
>
> 	Sam
> -
> "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> More majordomo info at

Hello Sam,

My intention is  to just understand whole
process of making kernel module.
Actually I am working on one project in which I have
to port lots of 2.4 kernel module in 2.6 kernel.
So I thought lets first try to understand, what is
going behind KBUILD.
I also gone through  linux/Documentation/kbuild/ but
didn't get very much information.
Even after running it on Verbose Mode, I am not very
much clear.

Thanks
Murtuja Bharmal