Re: [2.6 patch] make I/O schedulers non-modular

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 11:15:48PM +0100, Jarek Poplawski wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote, On 11/27/2007 05:47 PM:

> >> IMHO this is not enough yet. There is something called "the right
> >> of choice",
> >
> > That's a common misconception about open source software:
> >
> > There is nothing like a "right of choice".
> > There is a "right to change the source code".
>
> Maybe you are right, maybe I've used wrong words... But, e.g., google
> pretends to know about this first right too. And I've meant generally,
> not about open software.

Most Google hits are about abortion.

The fact that people use this term in some completely different
context does not give it the meaning you implied it had.

Oh, and this right of choice also does not exist in Poland...

> > This means you cannot demand from anyone to offer any choices, but you
> > can fork the code yourself and use and distribute modified code
> > containing any choices you consider reasonable.
>
> I don't demand anything. I've only expressed my personal opinion
> that usually (if possible) the choice is better than no choice.

And I'm trying to explain why your personal opinion is wrong in many
cases.

> And, since I don't know anything in open source forbiding this, I
> can ask, why you demand to take away offered choices; actually, I
> think it would be much easier if you could fork the other way...

There's nothing forbiding this, it's simply the question what results in
a better kernel (see below).

> >> and, it seems, things are usually far from perfect
> >> where this right is not respected.
> >
> > That's wrong.
> >
> > It's actually often much worse to have different choices with different
> > features and bugfixes than having one version that contains all features
> > and all bugfixes.
>
> It's only a part of the theory: usually it's easier to find some bugs
> if there is a possibility to compare a performance with other options;
> there is also kind of stimulation and flow of new ideas between them.
> Otherwise it's not so hard to overlook some stagnation.

Let's leave the theory.

As one of the most active code removers in the kernel [1], I can tell
you what actually happens in practice:

Given:
- two choices A and B
- user tried choice A and it has a problem (e.g. doesn't work or has
  bad performance)

What happens:
- if choice B works, user uses choice B

What happens without choice B:
- user reports the problem and choice A gets fixed

It's always surprising how many people complain when you deprecate or
remove a choice B that choice A wouldn't work for them, and who had
never reported their problems before since choice B worked for them...

> Regards,
> Jarek P.

cu
Adrian