Re: Possibly SATA related freeze killed networking and RAID

2007/11/21, Alan Cox <[email protected]>:
> > I've had other freezes before but this was the first time I was able
> > to see what was actually going on.
> > IRQ 21 appears to be shared between sata_nv and ethernet.
> >
> > Does this mean my hardware/BIOS is broken somehow?
>
> Not neccessarily. It could a bug in one of the drivers using IRQ 21
> (sata_nv or the nvidia ethernet), it could be another inactive device, or
> it could be a hardware funny.

How can I tell if there's an inactive device?

> Nvidia stuff can be quite hard to diagnose as we have no documentation
> but we can try. The first question is whether it is network or disk
> triggered - seeing if heavy loads to one or the other trigger the problem
> might be a first plan.

I haven't managed to trigger it again yet but at the time the CPU was
heavily loaded and I was re-indexing a database which caused a lot of
disk activity. I'm quite confident the network was pretty much idle at
the time.

  -- noah