Re: [ANN] Squashfs 3.3 released

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 02:02:43PM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:
Unfortunately the move to fixed little endian filesystem will involve another filesystem layout change. The current filesystem layout still uses packed bitfield structures, and it is impossible to swap these using the standard kernel swap macros. Removal of my routines that can properly swap packed bitfield structures is another change demanded by the Linux kernel mailing list.

The normal way to do it is to use shift and mask after doing the endian
conversion.  But the problem with bitfields is that they can have different
kinds of layouts depending on the compiler or abi which is another reason
to avoid them in ondisk/wire formats.

Yes, the bitfields are packed differently on little and big endian architectures which mean they appear in different places in the structure. I want to move away from that mess when I move to little endian only.

Phillip