Re: [ANN] Squashfs 3.3 released

maximilian attems wrote:
On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:13:14AM +0000, Phillip Lougher wrote:

The next stage after this release is to fix the one remaining blocking issue
(filesystem endianness), and then try to get Squashfs mainlined into the
Linux kernel again.

that would be very cool!

Yes, it would be cool :)  Five years is a long time to maintain
something out of tree, especially recently when there's been
so many minor changes to the VFS interface between kernel releases.

with my hat as debian kernel maintainer i'd be very relieved to see it
mainlined. i don't know of any major distro that doesn't ship it.

I don't know of any major distro that doesn't ship Squashfs either
(except arguably Slackware).  Putting my other hat on (one of the
Ubuntu kernel maintainers) I don't think Squashfs has caused
distros that many problems because it is an easy patch to apply
(it doesn't touch that many kernel files), but it is always good
to minimise the differences from the stock kernel.org kernel.

Phillip