Re: High priority tasks break SMP balancer?

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 07:07:00AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Micah Dowty <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > I am a bit at a loss as to how this could relate to the patch. This
> > > looks like a load balance logic issue that causes the load
> > > calculation to go wrong?
> >
> > My best guess is that this has something to do with the timing with
> > which we sample the CPU's instantaneous load when calculating the load
> > averages.. but I still understand only the basics of the scheduler and
> > SMP balancer. All I really know for sure at this point regarding your
> > patch is that git-bisect found it for me.
>
> hm, your code uses timeouts for this, right? The CPU load average that
> is used for SMP load balancing is sampled from the scheduler tick - and
> has been sampled from the scheduler tick for eons. v2.6.23 defaulted to
> a different method but v2.6.24 samples it from the tick again. So my
> guess is, your testcode behave similarly on 2.6.22 too, correct?

Interesting.. here are the kernels I've tested so far, not including
the git-bisect run I did between 2.6.19 and 2.6.20:

2.6.17 -
2.6.19 -
2.6.19.7 -
2.6.20 +
2.6.21 +
2.6.22 -
2.6.23.1 +

Here a "-" means that the problem does not occur (my test program uses
100% of both CPUs) and a "+" means that the test program leaves one
CPU mostly idle.

Unless I've made a mistake, 2.6.22 seems like the outlier rather than
2.6.23. Is this inconsistent with the scheduler tick hypothesis?

Thanks,
--Micah