Re: [perfmon] Re: [perfmon2] perfmon2 merge news

Hi Andi,

pfmon is a single tool and fairly low level, the HPC folks don't use it so much because it isn't parallel aware and is meant for power- users. It is not representative of the tools used in HPC at all. Our community uses tools built on the infrastructure provided by libpfm and PAPI for the most part.

I know you don't want to hear this, but we actually use all of the features of perfmon, because a) we wanted to use the best methods available and b) areas where user level solutions could be made (like multiplexing) introduced too much noise and overhead to be of use. For years we relied on PerfCtr which did 'just enough' for us. But when Perfmon2 became available, we adopted technology where it meant a significant increase in accuracy for the resulting measurements, specifically for us that meant, kernel multiplexing and sample buffers. Note that PAPI is just middleware. The tools built upon it are what people use...some of those are commercial tools like Vampir but most are Open Source. These tools are cross platform, as such they run on nearly everything...although intel/amd/ppc systems dominate the HPC market.

The usage cases are always the same and can be broken down into simple counting and sampling:

	- providing virtualized 64-bit counters per-thread
- providing notification (buffered or non) on interrupt/overflow of the above.

If you'd like to outline further what you'd like to hear from the community, I can arrange that. I seem to remember going through this once before, but I'd be happy to do it again. For reference, here's a quick list from memory of some of the tools in active use and built on this infrastructure. These are used heavily around the globe. You'll see that each basically follows one of the 2 usage models above.

- HPCToolkit (Rice)
- PerfSuite (NCSA)
- Vampir (Dresden)
- Kojak (Juelich)
- TAU (UOregon)
- PAPIEX (me)
- GPTL (NCAR)
- HPM-Linux (IBM)
- Paraver (Barcelona)

Time to go give a talk here at a tools session at SC'07 about this very subject.

Phil