Re: [poll] Is the megafreeze development model broken?

On 2007-11-12, Rogelio M. Serrano Jr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> I dont understand. You are supposed to go to jail for looking at closed
> source, right? And licenses are very expensive. I could not afford them
> when i started out but now i would rather spend the money on other
> things like FPGA's.

The complement of "open source" is not closed source, or at least
"source not available". (And I doubt it's even illegal to look at
source you have somehow got.) It includes so-called license-free
or license-less software [1] as well -- something I'm likely to do
with any of my future work, if I release the source at all.

> really? i work very hard at it. and it seems to get better steadily.

It's been a constant downfall ever since I started using Linux in '95
or so. None of the gripes I had then have been fixed (the bloatware
known as the X server is still allowed to hang the system), and many
other things have been turned into crap, largely due to world domination
plans. (See the "idiot box Linux" link in one of the recent posts.)

> You might as well
> start ignoring Linux and the BSD's since Microsoft is already offering
> an alternative. At least you dont have to deal with that problem there.

Indeed, Microsoft is offering the only alternative to the suffocating
monoculturist hegemony promoted by the major FOSS projects. (OS X
is too much like Gnome.)

  [1]: http://www.thedjbway.org/license_free.html

--
Tuomo