Re: [poll] Is the megafreeze development model broken?

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 06:02:54PM +0200, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> On 2007-11-12 16:20 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > The problem is not what the distributions ship, the problem is simply
> > that problems with distribution packaged software should be reported
> > to the distribution, not upstream.
> >
> > And for becoming at least marginally on-topic again:
> > Assuming your "stable base systems" contains the Linux kernel, how would
> > you prevent users from reporting bugs in their ancient kernels [1] here?
>
> You obviously can't prevent them from reporting problems, but you can
> dissuade them from doing that.

Yes, by asking immediately
  Is this issue still present with $latest_upstream_version?

If you don't do this for Ion then that's your fault.

> The kernel (and "Linux" in general)
> being rather "generic" and faceless in the sense I mentioned in the
> "it's the Debian kernel", than it's, say, "a Debian-corrupted
> ancient development snapshot of Ion". The Debian kernel packages
> are not even called 'Linux', just 'kernel',

Let's check your statement against reality:

They are called linux-*

> > But the good thing about open source software is that when you believe
> > your ideas are better than what current distributions do you can
> > implement your ideas and create your own distribution.
>
> Haha, the typical FOSS advocate's fallacy. Quote:

Open source development does not work by whining and trying to spread
your opinion through fake "polls" - either you implement what you want
yourself or it won't happen.

That's the simple truth, and it's your time that you waste when you
continue to complain. It also took me a few years until I learned this
lesson.

But an important observation is that when you start something other
people consider worthwhile there will be other people who participate in
what you do, or who even continue it when you decide to switch to other
projects instead.

> Tuomo

cu
Adrian