Re: Initrd problem with AMD opteron dual core

jean-francois simon <[email protected]> writes:

> i don't know where to start to try solving this problem. why would the
> dual core CPUs cause a problem? i fear that just disabling the initrd
> could just mask a more serious problem.

Most likely.

> also i don't understand why /proc/meminfo only reports 1GB...

I would compare the e820 maps between single and dual core. Perhaps the
initrd happens to be loaded somewhere where it overwrite other memory.

Another reason could be broken MTRRs not covering all memory correctly.
This can cause strange mmeory corruptions

Also if single core is an old stepping memory remapping might work
differently.

-Andi