Re: x86_64 SATA DVD drive + libata trouble

> I have a Tyan mainboard with NVIDIA chipset CK804. The only
> SATA/IDE device is a SATA DVD combo, the harddisks are on a RAID
> controller from 3ware. The harddisks are fine.

Interesting. I have only one other report of this problem that resembles
yours. They also have a 3ware raid controller.

> installation kernel cannot use the DVD drive. That kernel uses
> libata and sata_nv pata_amd as drivers. The drive is recognized

These are the correct drivers.

> A vanilla 2.6.23.1 kernel behaves even less friendly, the dd
> on /dev/sr0 causes a hard reset.

A dmesg and further info would be useful here. Also knowing how much
memory your system has and whether it passes memtest86.

> So there are clearly some problems with libata in this system.

CK804 is known to work reliably. That means we are looking for something
thats "different" about your system - perhaps the devices, the amount of
memory etc.

Alan