Re: [git patches] Add and use media change notification

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:
The end to CD-ROM polling...  newer SATA ATAPI hardware will emit
'asynchronous notification' events when media is changed.  This adds
support.

I *really* didn't want to pull this.

Not only is it after the -rc1 period, but I also think you pushed this ina really offensive manner, and I don't like how you and James have made this whole thing personal. You guys need to sort it out, and there is no way you can blame James for all your troubles, since I've heard the same kind of complaints about every single maintainer out there (including you) about some driver or other infrastructure issue.

So I'm unhappy about pulling this.

That said, I did finally decide to just pull it. Partly because the concept apparently has been in -mm for a while anyway (even if the final patch has not - but the patch itself isn't that large, I'd worry more about thngs like certain hardware simply not doing things right), but mostly because I hate it when others hold up driver features, and I decided that in this case this really is something that is better done earlier rather than later, to get exposure as soon as possible.

But I really think you need to lay off James, and help him rather than make every single complaint a big flame-war!

Please, Jeff?

Fair enough...

	Jeff