Re: "Fix ATAPI transfer lengths" causes CD writing regression

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Wed, Oct 31 2007, Alan Cox wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:21:29 +0000
Daniel Drake <[email protected]> wrote:

Alan Cox wrote:
I would guess Brasero is issuing a command with the length of data
wrongly set. In the old code that might well just produce errors of the
"Umm wtf is this data left over for ?", with the new code the drive is
likely to change state as it knows the transfer size and that will
*correctly* cause an HSM error and what follows.

Now the question is who gets the length wrong - Brasero or the ata
translation code in libata
Brasero does exactly the same as my test app which I attached to my last mail. Is my test app wrong?
Would need to double check the SCSI specificatons to be sure but I think
you are asking for less data than the drive wishes to provide. You
aren't allowed to do that with ATA.

ide-cd handles this by throwing the excess away, which I think is the
sane way to do this.

That's easy for the PIO case. But CD writing is normally DMA, which means you will get a DMA engine exception if the device wants to give you more data than the scatter/gather entries permit.

	Jeff