Re: vm_ops.page_mkwrite() fails with vmalloc on 2.6.23

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 21:22 -0400, Jaya Kumar wrote:
> On 10/29/07, Peter Zijlstra <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > [ also, remap_vmalloc_range() suffers similar issues, only file and anon
> >   have proper rmap ]
> >
> > I'm not sure we want full rmap for remap_pfn/vmalloc_range, but perhaps
> > we could assist drivers in maintaining and using vma lists.
> >
> > I think page_mkclean_one() would work if you'd manually set page->index
> > and iterate the vmas yourself. Although atm I'm not sure of anything so
> > don't pin me on it.
>
> :-) If it's anybody's fault, it's mine for not testing properly. My bad.
>
> In the case of defio, I think it's no trouble to build a list of vmas
> at mmap time and then to iterate through them when it's ready for
> mkclean time as you suggested. I don't fully understand page->index
> yet. I had thought it was only used by swap cache or file map.
>
> On an unrelated note, I was looking for somewhere to stuff a 16 bit
> offset (so that I have a cheap way to know which struct page
> corresponds to which framebuffer block or offset) for another driver.
> I had thought page->index was it but I think I am wrong now.

Yeah, page->index is used along with vma->vmpgoff and vma->vm_start to
determine the address of the page in the given vma:

  address = vma->vm_start + ((page->index - vma->vm_pgoff) << PAGE_SHIFT);

and from that address the pte can be found by walking the vma->vm_mm
page tables.

So page->index does what you want it to, identify which part of the
framebuffer this particular page belongs to.