Re: Linux Security *Module* Framework (Was: LSM conversion to static interface)

On 10/25/2007 10:42 AM, Casey Schaufler wrote:
I agree that security code does need to provide security. What we
need to get away from is the automatic attacks that are based on 20th
century computer system assumptions. Things like "name based access
control is rediculous", and "a module can't be any good if it doesn't
deal with all objects", or "the granularity isn't fine enough". Look
at TOMOYO. It's chuck full of good ideas. Why spend so much energy
badgering them about not dealing with sockets? How about helping the
AppArmor crew come up with acceptable implementations rather than
whinging about the evils of hard links? And maybe, just maybe, we can
get away from the inevitable claim that you could do that with a few
minutes work in SELinux policy, but only if you're a security
professional of course.

Casey,

Thank you introducing TOMOYO Linux. I really like your idea of
simplified MAC (and you work so hard!). I also find advantages
of AppArmor for distributing policies with less hustle. Finally
and most importantly, I respect SELinux as the first in-tree,
flexible and reliable security frame work and respect developers
involved.

As a project manager of TOMOYO Linux, I would like to
push it, of course. But I noticed, if each of LSM module
developer begin pushing their own code, that's not for the
sake of Linux and we may end up with chaos.

Instead of pushing TOMOYO Linux, I started developing
comparison chart of security-enhance Linux implementations.
The current version can be found in

http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/wiki-e/?WhatIs#comparison

I would like to receive feedbacks from Stephen, Crispin
(you already have a comparison, though :),
Casey and any people interested in. If possible,
I would like to include opinions from BSD people.

I would like LSM to be the result of common requirements.
"Common" means good in general, but not always for security
perspective. IMHO, I think it is possible for us to get to the
conclusion not to have a framework.

Cheers (and with love to Linux),
Toshiharu Harada