Re: [RFC, PATCH] locks: remove posix deadlock detection

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> But, OK, if we can identify unshared current->files at the time we put a
> task to sleep, then a slight modification of our current algorithm might
> be sufficient to detect any deadlock that involves purely posix file
> locks and processes.  And we can tell people that avoiding deadlock is
> their problem as soon as any task with a shared current->files is
> involved.  (Ditto, I assume, if nfsd/lockd acquires a lock.)

Don't forget that comparing file_lock->fl_owner (i.e. current->files) is
not the only way how lock ownership could be computed (there could be
specific file_lock->fl_lmops->fl_compare_owner() and all of them should
be teached this new semantics, right?).

--
Jiri Kosina