Re: [RFC, PATCH] locks: remove posix deadlock detection

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 05:50:30PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > You can't fix the false EDEADLK detection without solving the halting
> > problem.  Best of luck with that.
>
> I can see that it would be difficult to do efficiently, but basically,
> this boils down to finding a circular path in a graph. That is hardly an
> unsolvable issue...

Bzzt.  You get a false deadlock with multiple threads like so:

Thread A of task B takes lock 1
Thread C of task D takes lock 2
Thread C of task D blocks on lock 1
Thread E of task B blocks on lock 2

We currently declare deadlock at this point (unless the deadlock detection
code has changed since I last looked at it), despite thread A being about
to release lock 1.  Oh, and by the way, thread E is capable of releasing
lock 1, so you can't just say "well, detect by thread instead of by task".

So the only way I can see to accurately detect deadlock is to simulate
the future execution of all threads in task B to see if any of them
will release lock 1 without first gaining lock 2.  Which, I believe,
is halting-equivalent.

a retrograde step."