Re: [RFC] full suspend/resume support for i915 DRM driver

On 10/26/07, Jesse Barnes <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:59 pm Greg KH wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 04:53:18PM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > > Ok, here's yet another version that uses the device model for the
> > > suspend/resume, rather than pci hooks.
> > >
> > > Greg, DRM desperately needs review of its device model usage, can
> > > you take a look at this patch and the current drm_sysfs.c code?
> > > Right now, we're mixing class_devices and regular devices (the
> > > latter seem to be required for suspend/resume to work correctly),
> > > but this seems wrong. Any ideas?  Should we just rip out the
> > > class_device stuff and create full-on DRM device nodes?
> >
> > The class_device stuff is already ripped out in the latest -mm trees
> > and I will be forwarding that change on for 2.6.25 after 2.6.24 is
> > out.  So yes, it should be taken away :)
> >
> > But converting from class_device to struct device does not mean you
> > use a "device node".  But you could if you want to :)
>
> Yeah, bad choice of words. :)
>
> To retain compatibility, we need to have directories under the DRM class
> dir (/sys/class/drm) for each card (e.g. card0) that contains a file
> describing which graphics driver is bound to the device.  For class
> devices, we could just add an attributes structure to the device.  Can
> we do the same with regular, non-class devices?

The conversion is already queued in Greg's tree, and in -mm:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/gregkh/patches.git;a=blob;f=driver/drm-convert-from-class_device-to-device-in-drivers-char-drm.patch;h=f993183d1cb017f981cc2232d17930af40459bd8;hb=HEAD

/sys/class/drm will look the same as with the class_device's, only if
!CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED, there will be symlinks instead of
directories, otherwise the same pathes, like for all other (converted)
classes too.

Thanks,
Kay