Re: Linux Security *Module* Framework (Was: LSM conversion to static interface)

On 26/10/07 16:58, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 11:46:39AM +0200, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 19:56:47 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
>> > I'm trying to compile a list of all known external modules and drivers
>> > and work to get them included in the main kernel tree to help prevent
>> > these kinds of things.  If you know of any that are not on the list at:
>> > 	http://linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/OutOfTreeDrivers
>> > please feel free to add them, or email me with the needed information
>> > and I will add them to the list.
>>
>> That's certainly helpful, but I still think there will always be
>> a number of external modules that cannot be merged right now or at
>> all, and deliberately making life difficult for out-of-tree code
>> maintainers in order to coerce them into submitting their code for
>> inclusion in the kernel will not work, it'll only create bad
>> feelings.
>
> Do you have examples of proof of this?  Read
> Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt for how we already make
> out-of-tree code developer's lives hell :)

The change makes it much harder to develop in tree too. Also, this really
needs to be reverted and put in the feature removal schedule... unless
you intend to deliberately make all out of tree LSMs unusable with no
warning and no time to have them added to the kernel? We're already at
2.6.24-rc1.

--
Simon Arlott