Re: Linux Security *Module* Framework (Was: LSM conversion to static interface)

On 24/10/07 13:55, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 12:50:29PM +0100, Simon Arlott wrote:
>> I currently have an LSM that only handles permissions for socket_bind
>> and socket_listen, I load it and then "capability" as secondary on
>> boot - but now I can't because the LSM framework is now just the LS
>> framework.
>>
>> Why can't this "static LSM" change be a Kconfig option?
>> (I don't want to have to maintain my own reverted copy of security/,
>> or compile this into the kernel because then I can't ever modify and
>> reload it without rebooting.)
>
> Let's start with the more important questions:
>
> Did you submit your LSM for inclusion into the kernel?

No, because the interface for configuring it would be rejected... I have
a /proc file which I write a binary configuration file to. This works
fine for me but it would take a lot of work to write a proper interface
- which I'm still not sure how to do*.

That doesn't solve the problem that it's no longer possible to reload LSM
modules to make changes at runtime. Why should I have to reboot to change
something from now on when it works ok? The reasoning seems to be based
around a dislike of some out of tree modules. (Although it doesn't look
like there's appropriate locking around the register/unregister process.)

* (I've got a list of access rules which are scanned in order until one of
them matches, and an array of one bit for every port for per-port default
allow/deny - although the latter could be removed.
http://svn.lp0.eu/simon/portac/trunk/)

--
Simon Arlott