Re: Linux Security *Module* Framework (Was: LSM conversion to static interface)

--- Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> wrote:

> There are other points in this thread that might or might not warrant
> making LSM modular again, but even though it might sound harsh breaking
> external modules and thereby making people aware that their code should
> get into the kernel is IMHO a positive point.

Those proposing LSM modules over the past couple years have
been treated most harshly. I have personally taken the least
flak of anyone on my proposal, and at that there have been
times where I felt like pulling out the #5 clue stick and
taking a few swings. It's no wonder that people are afraid
to suggest a module. I didn't do it until I had combed through
the archives and prepared answers for the most common attacks.
I hope that Smack moving forward will defuse some of the bad
vibes that have clouded the LSM for so long. I don't blame
anyone who kept their module to themself given the hostility
which even successful products have encountered.

And don't give me the old "LKML is a tough crowd" feldercarb.
Security modules have been much worse. Innovation, even in
security, is a good thing and treating people harshly, even
"for their own good", is an impediment to innovation.

Casey Schaufler
[email protected]