Re: HIGHMEM64G Kernel (2.6.23.1) makes system crawl

Rajkumar S wrote:
Hello,

I am using a Core 2 Duo E6750 CPU on an intel DG33FB mother board with
4GB Ram, running Debian Lenny.

Since the box has 4 GB ram I compiled a big mem kernel, but the
machine is very slow while running big mem kernel. It takes about 37
minutes to compile the intel e1000 driver  (e1000-7.6.5.tar.gz) from
intel site. But it's performing normally when using a non big mem
kernel. The diff of the .config between working and non working is as
follows.

Post your contents of /proc/mtrr. Likely a BIOS bug which has been seen on a number of Intel boards, which doesn't mark all of RAM as cachable. When the top memory starts being used with the bigmem kernel it causes a major slowdown. Check for a BIOS update from Intel, first.

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]