Re: test_and_set_bit and friends ?

Mark Hounschell wrote:
These calls apparently are gone. Can someone tell me why and what are
the replacements.

Thanks in advance
Mark

I got no response from the glibc people on this and the kernel-newbies
list appears dead so I thought I'd try here since these calls are/were
actually kernel based to begin with. Why are they no longer available in
user space and what is one supposed to use now?

In general, none of the kernel synchronization-type functions should have been used in userspace since they often depend on infrastructure which is only in the kernel in order to work properly. The new headers installation system strips out any code intended for kernel use only from the userspace-visible headers.

(Not to mention the licensing issues - the kernel is GPL, not LGPL, so only GPL programs could have legally done so in the first place.)

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]