Re: [patch] Give kjournald a IOPRIO_CLASS_RT io priority

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:47:38 -0700
Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:46:47 -0700
> Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Subject: Give kjournald a IOPRIO_CLASS_RT io priority
> > From: Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]>

> Seems a pretty fundamental change which could do with some careful
> benchmarking, methinks.

FWIW, I have marked the kjournald processes on my system
realtime with "rtprio -c 1 `pidof kjournald`" and the
usual desktop stalls that plague my system have not yet
happened this afternoon.

> See, your patch amounts to "do more seeks to improve one test case".
> Surely other testcases will worsen.  What are they?

The big problem I have seen here is that processes end up
waiting on kjournald to do something, and kjournald is
waiting due to the IO scheduler.

This can cause a lot of low IO (high IO priority) processes
to indirectly get stuck behind a few high IO (low priority)
processes.

Since you have been involved a lot with ext3 development,
which kinds of workloads do you think will show a performance
degradation with Arjan's patch?   What should I test?