Inquiry data and emulated SG devices

Hello all,

First of all, let me introduce myself a little bit. I am the responsable
for the development of the Nero Linux burning application. So I have
access to all the source code of the application.

Now let's go with the story: It seems that there is a slight problem in
the libata (and also the new pata_xxx) interfaces with the data returned
by the INQUIRY cmd since every S-ATA or IDE device is assumed to be a
SCSI dev.

Normally, the IDE devices (physical type) can be differentied with the
format field of the inquiry data, i.e. the last bytes (ANSI version) are
set to 0 -> This is done and works great with USB external devices for
example.

The thing is that with S-ATA/IDE devices when using the libata/pata
driver, the version field is (always?) set to 5, as any _real_ SCSI
device, and thus the physical device type cannot be checked anymore.

I cannot go so deep in details, but our burn engine is differentiating
IDE and read-good-old-SCSI devices and handles them sometimes in a
different way, so this differenciation is really important for us.

   -> How can I detect the real physical device type now?

Best Regards,
Mathieu

Mathieu Fluhr
Linux Development Team Leader

E-mail: [email protected]

NERO - BECAUSE TECHNOLOGY COUNTS
www.nero.com

Nero AG
Im Stoeckmaedle 13-15
76307 Karlsbad
Germany

Vorstand/CEO: Richard Lesser
Aufsichtsratvorsitzender/chairman of the supervisory board: Jim Corbett

Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 362519
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or
privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
please notify the sender immediately and destroy
this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure
or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
strictly forbidden.