Re: hdparm standby timeout not working for WD raptors?

On 10/14/07, Bart Samwel <[email protected]> wrote:

> Some things to check:
>
> * Run "hdparm -I" on your drive. In the "Capabilities" section there is
> a line "Standby timer values", for some drives this mentions a device
> specific minimum. I know some drives that ignore any setting below 60
> seconds.
>
> * I also know of quite a number of drives where hdparm -B settings
> override the -S settings, even if you set the -S settings after the
> hdparm -B settings. You could try combinations with various values of
> hdparm -B, especially 1 and 255.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The -I command prints out a bunch of stuff including:
Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific minimum

I tried setting -B to 1 and and then set -S to 5 minutes.
Also, -B 255 and then set -S to 5 minutes.
No luck with either. These drives want to keep running.

One thing of possible interest: The -B command printed
the following message:

/dev/sda:
 setting Advanced Power Management level to 0x01 (1)
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Input/output error

I would guess that the first line came out just before
hdparm tried to do the set, and the second line indicates
that the set failed.

Perhaps -S is failing too, just without the diagnostic?

All of the above using 2.6.22-gentoo-r5
I have not yet tried 2.6.23 as suggested by Mark Lord.

---

"And he puzzled three hours, `till his puzzler was sore."
from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"