Re: [GIT PULL] please pull infiniband.git for-linus

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Greg KH wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 07:58:04PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > So I merged it all, and I don't expect any problems, but I'm hoping
> > somebody is thinking about that mod_devicetable.h/file2alias.c mess.
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure who to blame on that thing. I'm adding Greg to the
> > Cc, on the assumption that blaming him is usually the right thing to do ;)
>
> Hey, it wasn't me this time, I haven't even built my trees for you to
> pull from and break everything yet :)

No, I meant more in the "who the hell is responsible for designing those
*files*" rather than who is responsible for the particular merge mess
that happened to involve them this time around.

> But yeah, splitting up the mod_devicetable.h/file2alias.c mess is a very
> good idea, I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow.

I don't think it's a huge issue, but I wanted to bring it up because these
days we're normally so good with these kinds of things that it actually
stood out a bit. I used to do these kinds of nasty merges all the time
with init/main.c and the configuration files, until we split them up.

So I'm certainly perfectly able and used to doing them, it's just that I
also think that we have generally learnt to do so much better.

In other words: no hurry or pressure, I just wanted to bring it up, since
during the merge I got flashbacks to various "bad old times" that I had
hoped we had mostly left behind.

Those files were originally designed/set up by Rusty. I could have blamed
him, or perhaps Sam as a kbuild guy, but the reason I cc'd you is that I
think this kind of smells like a "device model"ish thing...

Hmm?

		Linus