Re: [ofa-general] Updated InfiniBand/RDMA merge plans for 2.6.24

Roland Dreier wrote:
 > No mention about the iwarp port space issue?

I don't think we're at a stage where I'm prepared to merge something--
we all agree the latest patch has serious drawbacks, and it commits us
to a suboptimal interface that is userspace-visible.

Fair enough.

 > I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

Could we try to do some cleanups to the net core to make the alias
stuff less painful?  eg is there any sane way to make it possible for
a device that creates 'eth0' to also create an 'iw0' alias without an
assigning an address?

Well, "alias" interfaces really don't exist. ethX:iw is really just adding a address record (struct in_ifaddr) to ethX. So in the current core design, adding an alias without an address is really adding the alias with address 0.0.0.0. And I think the core net code assumes if an in_ifaddr struct exists for a device, then its IP address is indeed valid.

So I think the changes wouldn't be small to enhance the design to add a concept of an alias interface.

I'll look into this more though.

Steve.