Re: Network slowdown due to CFS

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 04:10:00PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Friday 28 September 2007 00:42, Jarek Poplawski wrote:

> > > you repeat your point of "emulating yield", and i can only repeat my
> > > point that you should please read this:
> > >
> > >     http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/19/357
> > >
> > > because, once you read that, i think you'll agree with me that what you
> > > say is simply not possible in a sane way at this stage. We went through
> > > a number of yield implementations already and each will change behavior
> > > for _some_ category of apps. So right now we offer two implementations,
> > > and the default was chosen empirically to minimize the amount of
> > > complaints. (but it's not possible to eliminate them altogether, for the
> > > reasons outlined above - hence the switch.)
> >
> > Sorry, but I think you got me wrong: I didn't mean emulation of any
> > implementation, but probably the some thing you write above: emulation
> > of time/performance. In my opinion this should be done experimentally
> > too, but with something more objective and constant than current
> > "complaints counter". And the first thing could be a try to set some
> > kind of linux internal "standard of yeld" for the future by averaging
> > a few most popular systems in a test doing things like this iperf or
> > preferably more.
>
> By definition, yield is essentially undefined as to the behaviour between
> SCHED_OTHER tasks at the same priority level (ie. all of them), because
> SCHED_OTHER scheduling behaviour itself is undefined.
>
> It's never going to do exactly what everybody wants, except those using
> it for legitimate reasons in realtime applications.

That's why I've used words like: "not differ too much" and "within
some limits" above. So, it's only about being reasonable, compared
to our previous versions, and to others, if possible.

This should be not impossible to additionally control (delay or
accelerate) yielding tasks wrt. current load/weight/number_of_tasks
etc., if we know (after testing) eg. average expedition time of such
tasks with various schedulers. Of course, such tests and controlling
paremeters can change for some time until the problem is explored
enough, and still no aim for exactness or to please everybody.

BTW, it looks like risky to criticise sched_yield too much: some
people can misinterpret such discussions and stop using this at
all, even where it's right.

Regards,
Jarek P.