Re: sys_chroot+sys_fchdir Fix

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 06:49:28 +0930
David Newall <[email protected]> wrote:

> For sure, "a root user can get out of a chroot a million different
> ways."  Young Alan said as much at the beginning of this
> conversation, and I have always agreed.  I don't hope to secure Linux
> within chroot, simply to fix chroot so that it does what it says it
> does.

> The problem is leaving cwd unchanged.  Once you've set cwd within the
> new root, dot-dot is promised to keep you within that root; and so it
> does.  But by leaving cwd unchanged, if you do a subsequent chroot,
> that promise is suddenly broken.  I think this is a bug.  I think
> that behavior was not intended.  Not all agree with me, but obviously
> a lot do, otherwise OpenBSD and others wouldn't have addressed this
> exact issue.  Here's what they do:

So keep reading the links I gave you:

    http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/chroot-practices.html

    The chroot call itself does not change the working directory, so
    if the new root is below the current directory, the application
    can still have access outside resources.

    http://www.bpfh.net/simes/computing/chroot-break.html

    chdir("/foo/bar");
    chroot("/foo/bar");

    Note the use of the chdir() call before the chroot() call. This is
    to ensure that the working directory of the process is within the
    chroot()ed area before the chroot() call takes place. This is due
    to most implementations of chroot() not changing the working
    directory of the process to within the directory the process is
    now chroot()ed in.

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/programmer/secure-programming/

    The chroot() call itself will only change the root file system in
    the process' context. A chroot() call must be followed by a
    chdir("/") call in order to reset the current working directory.

So the OpenBSD man page seems to be in the minority here.  Any portable
code can not assume that CWD changes.  And changing the Linux behaviour
now would be a rather big change which might break userspace.  And yes,
there are applications that rely on this, I've used it when building
software for cross compiling.

  /Christer