Re: 2.6.23-rc4-mm1 and -rc6-mm1: boot failure on HP nx6325, related to clockevents

On Monday, 24 September 2007 18:46, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> > > Hrm. The local apic timer calibration does not use anything which is
> > > related to interrupts, but if we use the local APIC timer we switch off
> > > PIT.
> > >
> > > Can you boot Linus latest (w/o hrt patches) and add "apicmaintimer" to
> > > the kernel command line please ?
> >
> > Works, dmesg attached.
>
> /me scratches head

Retested.

> We know, that
> - disabling local apic timers work

This works reproducibly accross the board.

> - local apic timers (which turn off PIT) work. when noacpiFSCKEDPARSING

This stopped working, although it evidently worked yesterday (wtf?).

There seems to be a history effect in the box, to make things more
"interesting".

> is given on the kernel command line.
>
> I have no clue, what might be the difference of noacpiFSCKEDPARSING. The
> boot log is not giving any hint at all.
>
> acpi_disable_pci() sets acpi_pci_disabled and acpi_noirq to 1.
>
> What happens, if you set "acpi=noirq" instead ?

That obviously doesn't help.

I think the only solid data point so far is that "noapictimer" makes the box
boot.

Greetings,
Rafael