Re: NFS4 authentification / fsuid

On Sep 18, 2007, at 19:44:59, Satyam Sharma wrote:
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Kyle Moffett wrote:
On Sep 06, 2007, at 19:35:14, Trond Myklebust wrote:
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 19:30 -0400, Kyle Moffett wrote:
On Sep 06, 2007, at 11:06:16, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
The question of how to protect against someone with *physical* access certainly is more difficult, but surely that's a separate problem.

Actually, that's a fairly simple problem (barring disassembling the system and attaching a hardware debugger). You encrypt the root filesystem and require a password to boot (See: LUKS). Debian has built-in support for installing onto fs-on-LVM-on- crypt-on-RAID, and it works quite well on all the laptops I use regularly. It's not even much of a speed penalty; once you take the overhead of hitting a 5400RPM laptop drive you can chew thousands of cycles of CPU without anybody noticing (much). Then all you have to do is burn a copy of your /boot with bootloader onto some read-only media (like a finalized CDROM/ DVDROM) and you're set to go.

Disconnect battery, and watch boot password go 'poof!'.

Umm, I did say "encrypt the root filesystem", didn't I? Booting my laptops

The whole *point* here is to secure against physical access -- then how can you assume "barring disassembling the system"? If you're not considering attacks such as those, then how _are_ you solving the physical access problem in the first place? :-)

Security is about fractional reduction of risk, and anybody who tells you otherwise is either ignorant or lying through their teeth. There are *multiple* aspects of "physical access"; one of those is access while the box is off and no data resident in volatile memory, which is the easy case. Basically there you can just encrypt the non- volatile storage. If the system is *on* and has unencrypted data in memory (such as suspend-to-RAM for example) then you *HAVE* to ensure that it can't be easily disassembled and a hardware debugger attached; there is no way around that very fundamental limitation.

Basically if the key is resident and unencrypted as is necessary to *USE* the system, then no amount of hardware is going to *prevent* a dedicated attacker from getting at it unless you make it so unportable that you don't have to worry about somebody carrying it off in the first place. Typical mechanisms to increase the time and effort to break into a device include wiring the entire enclosure with extremely thin filament wires and detecting automatically wiping the system upon any variation in a small flow of current through said filament.

this way follows this procedure:
 1) Enter BIOS boot menu
 2) Insert /boot CDROM
 3) Select the "CDROM" entry
 4) Wait for kernel to start and run through initramfs
5) Type password into the initramfs prompt so that it can DECRYPT THE ROOT FILESYSTEM
 6) Continue to boot the system.

Under this setup, tinkering with my BIOS does virtually nothing; the only avenues of attack are strictly of the "Install a hardware keylogger" variety.

Doesn't flashing/replacing your BIOS firmware/chip count as tinkering? Then I don't really need a "hardware keylogger", do I ...

Ok, so you are saying your plan of attack on this system would be:
  1)  Steal the laptop such that I don't notice it has been stolen
  2)  Open it up
3) Replace the very-vendor-specific BIOS chip with a reflashed one with sufficient storage to do all the things the old BIOS could *AND* have enough storage for an entire replacement kernel binary with a built-in keylogger, as well as some storage for the logged password 4) Return the laptop, again such that I don't notice it has been missing
  5)  Wait for me to boot and type my password
6) Somehow recover the laptop *yet* *again* to get the password back off of it and decrypt the disk

Yes it "can be done", but so can dumping the firmware for an iPod out through the built-in piezo clicker[1]. USE SOME COMMON SENSE HERE PEOPLE!!! The only "unbreakable" computer is one always disconnected and off under armed guard in a bank vault, and even then it's only as secure as the bank in which it is stored (which get broken into on occasion).

I am assuming that if the laptop has sufficiently important data on it to warrant the above steps then I am also clueful enough to:
  (A)  Not carry the laptop around unsecured areas,
(B) Keep a close enough eye on it and be aware that it's gone by the time they get to step 2, OR
  (C)  Pay somebody to build me a better physical chassis for my laptop

We are talking about *STANDARD* laptop systems with reasonably alert users. If the user doesn't know how to properly protect the stuff on the laptop then they probably don't know how to properly protect the other copy in their heads, either. Besides, if some government wanted the data on your laptop that bad they'd just pick you up in the middle of the night and torture your password out of you.