Re: crashme fault

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> I'll apply this patch today, but I haven't done so yet (for the 2
> bug reports below).

Actually, it's probably better that you don't change your situation
unnecessarily, in case the bug goes away.

Since you are triggering the problem even *without* the patch, whatever
crashme is doing now for you is the interesting case.

I suspect NX just isn't active for you, so the mprotect doesn't matter,
but if it *does* matter, that's interesting in itself.

> Then I'll back up more, prior to 2.6.22 (which got the Huh? message and
> kept going).

Ahh, ok, so this is not a new thing, and it happened in 2.6.22 too.

I'm really starting to suspect some early EM64T bug, and I also suspect
that it's harmless but that we should just do the trivial patch to say "if
the register state is in user mode, we don't care if the CPU says it was a
kernel access".

			Linus