Re: RFC: bug in load_elf_binary?

Chris Friesen wrote:
> I believe that's correct.  It's basically the equivalent of BSS, but
> used for an emulated OS (the app in question is an emulator).

Right.

>> Well, you could make the p_offset the same as the first segment with a
>> non-zero filesz.  That should satisfy the elf loader, though it might
>> still confuse things.
>
> Interesting idea.  Worth a try.
>
> However, this doesn't address the kernel side of things.  Am I correct
> in thinking that the kernel is making an invalid assumption that it
> can find the load_addr based on the first segment?

God, that code is such a tangle.  I'm not sure why it particularly cares
about the offset, though perhaps its making sure that (offset %
pagesize) == (vaddr % pagesize), which only matters for filesz>0.

It's not too surprising it falls over with more unconventional ELF files.

>> Why can't you create this mapping at runtime?
>
> Our emulated OS wants to put stuff at fixed addresses in this range,
> so we're trying to keep the loader from allocating stuff there before
> our program gets a chance to start up.

Hm, you might want to have a look at how valgrind gets itself started.