Re: stripping down the kernel-parameters.txt file

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, David Newall wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   while killing some time between compiles and ridding the
> > kernel-parameters.txt file of out-of-date or incorrect cruft, it
> > occurs to me that that file is borderline valueless since it
> > apparently tries to document every possible boot-time parameter,
> > including those associated with individual modules.  that's just
> > silly.
>
> "Silly" is such a negative word.  I think it's aspirational.  It
> probably can't be achieved, but that's no reason to give up, nor to
> remove existing text.

if the goal is to simply put all of the basic boot-time kernel parms
along with the module-specific ones into a single file, sorted in
alphabetical order, then i contend that this is, in fact, "silly".
the end result would be a somewhat chaotic mess since i think it's
clear that those "basic" kernel parms (as i call them) are
qualitatively different from the module-specific ones, and should be
segregated as such.

now, if they're still going to go into a single file, it *would* make
sense to put the basic ones at the top and, following that, the
module-specific ones, one module at a time.  *that* would make perfect
sense.  but to mix them as they are now doesn't.

rday

p.s.  by "basic", i mean those boot-time parms defined by either
"__setup()" or "early_param()".  which means that module writers
should, as much as possible, stop using those macros to define
command-line parameters for their modules.  that would go a long way
to restoring some order, and allowing for some decent and readable
documentation.