Re: Fwd: That whole "Linux stealing our code" thing

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 01:37:18PM -0400, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
On 01/09/07, Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:
Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
This will hopefully help diminish certain myths about the code licensing.
What myth?  The myth that Theo understands dual licensing?
Reyk's code was never dual licensed, so it's not like it even matters
to the original dispute.

It's no longer dual licenced in the FreeBSD tree because the FreeBSD people removed the GPL choice of the dual licenced code 3 months ago.

So all of Theo's accusations of people breaking the law by making this dual licenced code GPL-only apply as well to the FreeBSD people...

Sigh, why actually check the facts when you can make them up. The code in question is my code. It has my copyright (modulo bits shared with onoe-san who was consulted on the switch from dual-bsd/gpl to bsd only in freebsd). Of course what was amusing was how after I changed the license on the current code in freebsd certain folks retroactively applied the license changes to code that was 3 years old.

But is there a point to all this nonsense? I dual-licensed the code so folks could adopt and use it however they saw fit. As I've said before I don't care what people do with the work I give away so long as they don't claim it's their own.

That said, I don't see what exact wording you consider inaccurate.

Both the FreeBSD and Linux people draw the logical conclusion that this "Alternatively" means everyone can always choose to remove one of the two choices alternatively offered.

According to Theo, that is "breaking the law"...

I've yet to see "FreeBSD people" speak up so again you're just spouting jibberish. I am speaking up as the author of the code that set the dual license in place. I have the definitive say and I have said that any of my code that is dual-licensed can be made gpl only.

   Sam