DRM and/or X trouble (was Re: CFS review)

On 08/31/2007 08:46 AM, Tilman Sauerbeck wrote:

On 08/29/2007 09:56 PM, Rene Herman wrote:

With X server 1.3, I'm getting consistent crashes with two glxgear
instances running. So, if you're getting any output, it's better than my
situation.
Before people focuss on software rendering too much -- also with 1.3.0
(and a Matrox Millenium G550 AGP, 32M) glxgears also works decidedly
crummy using hardware rendering. While I can move the glxgears window
itself, the actual spinning wheels stay in the upper-left corner of the
screen and the movement leaves a non-repainting trace on the screen.

This sounds like you're running an older version of Mesa.
The bugfix went into Mesa 6.3 and 7.0.

I have Mesa 6.5.2 it seems (slackware-12.0 standard):

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI G400 20061030 AGP 2x x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 6.5.2

The bit of the problem sketched above -- the gears just sitting there in the upper left corner of the screen and not moving alongside their window is fully reproduceable. The bit below ... :

Running a second instance of glxgears in addition seems to make both
instances unkillable -- and when I just now forcefully killed X in this
situation (the spinning wheels were covering the upper left corner of all
my desktops) I got the below.

[ two kernel BUGs ]

... isn't. This seems to (again) have been a race of sorts that I hit by accident since I haven't reproduced yet. Had the same type of "racyness" trouble with keyboard behaviour in this version of X earlier.

Running two instances of glxgears and killing them works for me, too.

I'm using xorg-server 1.3.0.0, Mesa 7.0.1 with the latest DRM bits from
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=mesa/drm.git;a=summary

For me, everything standard slackware-12.0 (X.org 1.3.0) and kernel 2.6.22 DRM.

I'm not running CFS though, but I guess the oops wasn't related to that.

I've noticed before the Matrox driver seems to get little attention/testing so maybe that's just it. A G550 is ofcourse in graphics-time a Model T by now. I'm rather decidedly not a graphics person so I don't care a lot but every time I try to do something fashionable (run Google Earth for example) I notice things are horribly, horribly broken.

X bugs I do not find very interesting (there's just too many) and the kernel bugs are requiring more time to reproduce than I have available. If the BUGs as posted aren't enough for a diagnosis, please consider the report withdrawn.

Rene.